For quite some time now, I’ve been fascinated by how Africa and Asia (but mostly Africa) seems to suddenly become recognized as a hotbed for deadly diseases. This clearly wasn’t always the case, but something that gradually became more of an issue in my lifetime. A few weeks ago, listening to talk radio in my […]
Although likely to have originated as a pagan harvest festival, to most people, Halloween is a simple quasi holiday — a day where “a kid can be a kid”. A sort of Mardi Gras for kids and kids at heart, people dress up in sometimes scary costume to take part is a type of innocent debauchery usually involving an overdose of […]
The biggest misunderstanding about Food in America is that we think too much about it. I, however, would argue the opposite — we don’t think enough about what we put in our mouths. In fact, it has gotten to the point where we actively avoid thinking about Food until we are ravenously hungry. This inevitably leads […]
In several posts over the years, I have talked about how what we focus on expands. Well, today, we learned that America’s fight against obesity has resulted in just that. Adult obesity rates increased in six U.S. states and fell in none last year, and in more states than ever — 20 — at least 30 […]
Whenever someone tells me the supposed health benefits of a particular food, I cringe. I cringe because with the “immune-boosting”, “anti-oxidant rich” claims comes the immediate denigration of another real food as being particularly bad. The way I see it, if it’s food, it’s good. If it’s not food (i.e. processed, chemicalized, injected and so […]
Enter to Win!
- Butter and the Brain December 27, 2008
- Making 100% Teff Injera October 22, 2009
- Frozen Salmon That’s Low in Mercury February 2, 2010
- Christmas Dinner in St. Martin December 26, 2011
- What’s Your Beef? The Benefits of Going Grass Fed May 2, 2009
- RIDDLE: What do Ebola, AIDS and Oklahoma City Have in Common? November 13, 2014
- The Road to Addiction… Redefining Treats for Halloween and Beyond November 7, 2014
- Instantly Improve Your Relationship with Food October 28, 2014
- Obesity More Out of Control than EVER! September 5, 2014
- How Food Fads Will Destroy the Planet: How Much Is That Almond Worth to You? August 29, 2014
- ahewcn: That's a great idea. In this day of the internet,...
- Maria: Great article. I don't travel outside of the US ...
- Maria: Very interesting. I am going to send this to my f...
- ahewcn: I have more duck recipes to come. Like a salad wit...
- Lisa: That reminds me... I have a duck in the freezer. :...