If you don’t know the difference between vision and eyesight, then you will by the end of today’s episode. Holistic Optometrist, Dr. Sam Berne, is our Guest Heretic this week and he’ll teach us how vision can be improved with nutrition, lifestyle, sunlight and exercise. Plus he’ll discuss the role of vision in conditions like ADHD and answer a listener’s question about glaucoma.
Dr. Sam Berne has been in private practice in New Mexico for over 25 years and is an established leader in functional medicine. He uses holistic optometry and vision therapy to improve eye health, vision, and overall wellness. He understands and treats the body as one integrated system rather than a collection of independent organs, in order to identify and address the root causes of disease. This approach views each person as genetically and biochemically unique; therefore, his treatment methods are personalized and tailored to the individual.
Dr. Berne uses whole health methods to give patients approachable, immediately usable, and powerful protocols for improving their vision and wellness. He has developed innovative methods for healing the mind-body-spirit through eye therapy and provides individuals with natural alternatives for reducing disease and improving vitality. These methods offer a holistic solution to children and adults with autism, ADHD, cataracts, dry-eye, glaucoma, macular degeneration, and many other conditions.
You can learn more about Dr. Berne through his website, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Highlights from today’s episode:
- 05:10 ~ What is a holistic optometrist?
- 09:49 ~ Is there a psycho-emotional connection between the mind and vision?
- 15:32 ~ Is there a distinction between vision and eyesight?
- 16:56 ~ The biggest threats to our vision in the modern world.
- 20:07 ~ The role light plays in strengthening the eyes.
- 28:52 ~ How the eyes are connected to the vestibular system.
- 25:32 ~ How true is the Chinese concept of liver stagnation and poor vision?
- 38:41 ~ A question from a listener, “I have been having problems with my eyesight for some time but wrongly thought this was due to some minor brain damage. Unfortunately things took a turn for the worse this week and I have now been diagnosed with Glaucoma in both eyes. I have already lost 30% in my left eye. They have put me on eye drops to lower the pressure in my eyes. Is there anything else you can suggest I do?
- 46:09 ~ Watch Dr. Berne’s Facebook page for his webinars and events (some are free!).
2 thoughts on “Guest Heretic Dr. Sam Berne, Author of Creating Your Personal Vision: A Mind-Body Guide for Better Eyesight”
I am delighted to see these programs on line and educating people to the Functional Medicine method of preserving our eyesight. I am age 68 and noticed that my eyesight was detiorating as the years went by. I was experiencing “floaters” and then not seeing as well. I live in a rural area with very few options regarding eye doctors. This eye doctor told me I had “age related” cataracts but he did not recommend doing anything. Then I discovered Dr. Sam Berne and his protocol. I began his protocol two months ago. I am using his recommended MSM eye drop and this week I realized my floaters have disappeared. I will continue his protocol and work on dissolving the cataracts. Give his protocol a try!
Thanks for the feedback, Donna! Wonderful to know that this protocol is working for you. It’s been my experience that doctors who poo-poo natural methods have never looked into them. Good for you for having the open mind to take care of yourself instead of just taking the first doc’s word for it.