Vitamin A, magnesium, DHA…. what’s the difference between vitamins and minerals? And does it matter if we get them from food versus supplements? This week we talk with the man who wrote the book on The Uncensored Truth about Vitamins and Mineral Supplements — Dr. Jonny Bowden. Known as the Nutrition Myth Buster, Dr. Jonny dishes up facts about everything from fish oil to red wine heretic style with a side of bacon.
Jonny Bowden, PhD, CNS, also known as “The Nutrition Myth Buster” ™ is a nationally known board-certified nutritionist and expert on diet and weight loss. Dr. Jonny is the best-selling author of 15 books including Living Low Carb, The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth, and (with cardiologist Stephen Sinatra), the controversial best-seller, The Great Cholesterol Myth”. He is a consultant with the Cenegenics Medical Institute.
Great Resources From Jonny Bowden:
- Listen to the podcast and find out how you can receive The Uncensored Truth about Vitamin & Mineral Supplements for free (send the requested information to: email@example.com)
- The Great cholesterol Myth
- The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth About What You Should Eat and Why
- Smart Fat: Eat More Fat. Lose More Weight. Get Healthy Now
Highlights from today’s episode:
02:01 ~ Potassium iodide – it’s not for everyone; find out why.
06:53 ~The difference between vitamins and minerals and do they work differently in the body?
14:20 ~ How supplements differ from naturally occurring vitamins and minerals.
15:19 ~ Misconceptions about getting enough vitamins or minerals from either plant or animal sources.
20:21 ~ What fat soluble vitamins are and why there is such a focus on them.
35:35 ~ How to keep your sanity when it comes to the overwhelming array of supplements.
37:10 ~ The ultimate list of recommended supplements.
42:43 ~ The role of probiotics.
54:24 ~ What are some misconceptions about sodium?
57:35 ~ A special offer from Jonny.
Links For This Episode:
- Vital Choice
- Interview with Author Lierre Keith, The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice and Sustainability
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause
- Barleans swirl
Thanks for listening! Please share this episode to help spread the word. You can also subscribe to get updates about new episodes and get a copy of The Nutrition Heretic’s S#IT List: 7 Health Food To Avoid Like The Plague in your inbox by clicking here.